I live in Ohio (an at-fault auto insurance state) and my friend, who recently borrowed my car, ended up rear ending a car. My car is fine but the car she hit needs some minor repairs. If she has insurance from a no-fault state, who will have to pay for the damage done to the other vehicles?

Marked as spam
Posted by Brady Marks (MONEY FORUMS: 4, Answers: 0)
Asked on April 30, 2016 4:56 pm
Private answer

It’s a common misconception that car insurance follows the driver. In fact, according to http://www.dmv.org/insurance/when-another-driver-has-an-accident-in-your-car.php, the insurance follows the vehicle. Assuming this friend was at fault because of the nature of the accident (rear-ending), it is up to your insurance company to pay the damages. So, your insurance is responsible and your friend’s may provide secondary (extra) coverage if it is needed. The only way you could *not* have your insurance pay the damages is if you claimed your friend stole your car/did not have your permission to operate it.

If, however, the accident was not your friend’s fault, the claim would be paid by the other driver’s coverage and your insurance would be unaffected.

In some cases, it might be a good idea to hire an attorney. “Because you could be subject to personal liability in those cases, meaning the other driver can actually sue you for damages instead of the person who drove your car, an attorney can help you.”

Marked as spam
Posted by Hannah Jane Parkins (MONEY FORUMS: 2, Answers: 4)
Answered: May 3, 2016 3:53 pm